It’s been AGES since I’ve spent some quality time in the kitchen, just me, the oven, a bunch of bowls and some delicious ingredients. We all know that I love to be in my kitchen – it’s my time to centre myself, clear my head, relax and of course, make delicious food.
In an attempt to have a quick and relatively healthy breakfast option for C and I at this very busy time, I spent some quality time in the kitchen last night making these delicious muffins and a healthy salad for our lunches this week. (Salad post to follow.)
On C’s request I made the Banana, Pear and Oat Muffins with an Oat Crumble mix on top. They are divine! What I love about these muffins, aside from the fact that they are gluten free, is that they are PACKED full of fruit and they have oats and nuts in them as well so they are pretty healthy and high in protein, right??… well, that is of course until you factor in the butter… and sugar. GULP!!
One day I am going to make them using honey instead of brown sugar just to make them a little healthier but this week I felt like C and I needed a treat as we’ve been eating so well over the last few weeks anyway and we’ve been facing some challenges! You can always go without the crumble topping which does tip them over into the unhealthy category.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe I found on Ambitious Kitchen (credit where credit is due and all that) and I’ve adapted it to accommodate our GF lifestyle. You can always use normal plain flour and normal oats if you’re not fussed about them being GF.
I recommend making the crumble topping first, if you’re going to use it, so that it’s ready to put on as soon as you are finished mixing the muffins as I always end up pausing at this point and it does mean your mixture will sit for a bit which isn’t ideal.
Oat Crumb Topping (for 12 muffins)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (for best results I use that super fine stuff)
- 2 Tbsp GF flour mix
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cold butter
- 2 Tbsp certified GF oats!
- Mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl or container
- Cut in the butter with a fork, pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly
- Add oats and combine
Banana Pear & Oat Muffins (makes 12 muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups GF flour mix (mine is a combination of chickpea, quinoa, oat, brown and white rice flours and a good guide for mixing flours can be found here)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp GF baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cups certified GF oats
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 pear – peeled and mashed (mostly I used the pear to add a bit of moisture as GF baking can be quite dry but you can go without or substitute another pear for one of the bananas if you want a stronger pear flavour)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 125gr butter, browned
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips (can substitute with peanut butter chips or chocolate chips)
- Grease or line a muffin tin with paper liners. Preheat oven to 190 C.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and oats with a whisk
- In a separate bowl, add mashed banana, pear and sugar, (you can use a beater, but a wooden spoon works just as well).
- Brown the butter (you could just melt it if you don’t want to take the extra step to brown it). This can be done on the stove or in the microwave. To use the stove, just heat over medium heat until fizzing and cracking stops, the butter turns brown and has a nutty aroma. In the microwave, microwave high for a minute, then stir, then continue to microwave at 20-30 second intervals and stir, until the same (should take about 5 minutes).
- Let the brown butter cool slightly and meanwhile add the egg to the wet mix.
- Add the brown butter to the wet mix and then add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (don’t over-mix)
- Fold in walnuts and cinnamon chips
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes
Delicious, moist, healthy-ish muffins full of that lovely banana and cinnamon flavour combination that we adore and 1 very happy hubby! WIN!!